Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Great Cake Adventure

Being that its our 2nd anniversary, I decided to celebrate by making a cake. Coley was disappointed that I used a cake mix from scratch when I made cupcakes for my dads birthday, so I showed her! I found a coconut cake recipe, cause I love coconut and had at it.



I didnt want a big cake, just a small one, so I found a little 6 inch pan and divided my cake recipe in half.


Mixed up egg whites, vanilla and milk until they were frothy


Worked the dry ingredients, so far, this cake recipe wasnt that bad. Egg whites are gross though, feels like snot and thats not cool.


Ugh coconut milk. This stuff is also gross cause is separates. I thought I had shaken it up enough, but I was so wrong. I was trying to get only half a can out and the chunks were everywhere!


Had to mix up the eggs with the coconut milk and dry stuff, it was pretty solid at first but gradually it got more like the store bought stuff that I was used to.


I got all creative and wanted 4 layers of cake, but only had one pan and normally that pan would do me about 2 cakes. I broke out the nifty postal scale that I use for my mugs and divided them all up evenly. I wasn't about to have 3 thin cakes and a big fatty.


AHHHH GREEN! Of course this was my creative stuff. Actually I saw a cake similar to this one and really wanted to try it out. Oh how I love food colouring.


AHHH RAINBOW!!! Dont worry, I also made a blue one too, but it was in a bigger bowl that was too big. I am thinking Tony will be surprised when he cuts into this cake. I cant wait to see what it looks like in slices of rainbow awesomeness.

So now we wait and wait for the little cakes to be done. They took about 17 min to cook so it wasn't long. Using one pan wasn't that bad either.

So the final product and rest of the story will appear later when Tony comes home and cuts into this bad boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good on you Miranda for taking the challenge of doing a cake from the beginning. Yes it is fun when you experiment and get to see how it turns out.
Have a great party.
Phillip B

Post a Comment