Monday, August 17, 2009

food: Jamie Oliver’s Mothership Tomato Salad


What can I say? I was in a tomatoey type mood. I saw Jamie Olivers show on tomatoes and this recipe looked so good. I've never had tomato salad before and mine isn't nearly as fancy as his was, but it tastes awesome and I thought I would share it. This is the original recipe but I didnt follow it exactly.

Ingredients:

-Tomatoes (he used varying sizes colours and all that, but mine were just plain old tomotoes and one cherry tomato).
-Sea Salt
-Black Pepper
-A good pinch dried oregano (I used the flowers from my plant outside)
-Red wine or balsamic vinegar (we used balsamic vinegar)
-Extra-virgin olive oil
-1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
-1 chili seeded and chopped (I didn't use a whole one cause I didn't have a lot of tomatoes, I used more like a third of one with 4 tomatoes).

I chopped up all the tomatoes and then plopped them in a colandar with a fair amount of sea salt and then let it sit in the sink to drain for 15 minutes. (Now when the recipe said to do lots of sea salt, I was afraid, but it draws out moisture and isn't that salty in the salad.)

After that its a matter of mixing the pepper, oregano, garlic and chili with the tomatoes. The dressing is 1 part red wine or balsamic vinegar to 3 parts olive oil. I didn't use a whole lot of the dressing just a light amount cause the tomatoes tasted great without it already.

I also chopped up some fresh basil cause I love that stuff. And there you have it, tomato salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment