Sunday, February 28, 2010

the borscht


So the recipe that I used was kinda in my head and kinda referenced the mennonite girls can cook recipe a bit.

I used 4 cups beef stock, 2 cups water and a bunch of glugs of V8 that I had in the fridge. Then there was a half a small cabbage, 1 huge potato, carrots, about 3, 2 stalks celery and a whole onion. Also one pack lean ground beef that was cooked before and drained and a can of tomatoes. AND and dill, lots of dill, some basil, oregano and salt and pepper.

It took a while before it started tasting borscht-ey cause the cabbage needs to give it its awesome flavor. Its way better the next day though.

I prefer it with some sour cream stirred in as seen in my cup of soup.


Sooo good. The sun is shining, I think its time for a walk after this hockey game is over.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

how can it be borscht with no beets?!?!

Miranda said...

I dont remember having it ever with beets, but beets sound good in it. Apparently it doesnt need to have beets to be borscht, it can be tomato based

heidi said...

my grandma neufeld used to make it with beets. oh yes, and i've learned that you can NEVER add to much dill to borscht!

Aria said...

I thought it was Ukrainian borcht (beets) and Russian borcht (cabbage)?
could be wrong :P

Post a Comment