Friday, July 29, 2011

Recent reads...

I've been reading a lot of books lately. It helps that I have a few ebook apps and a lot of time on my hands. Besides re-reading The Hunger Games series (love love loved it!) I've been downloading a bunch of baby/pregnancy books. These are a few that I've read in the last few weeks:

You: Having a Baby by Dr. Oz and Dr.Roizen
Talk about information galore! Being that its written by 2 doctors, it had lots of technical information. Probably some of which I will never remember.  It was a very medical take on the whole pregnancy/birth process. I liked it compared to the "What to expect when you're expecting" book,  because it was more interesting and gave out a lot of information that I found to be more current. The only down side I found was that some of the information went over my head a bit. I will admit, some parts of it I skimmed.


Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
I saw this book online, being that it was cheap and had a good rating, I downloaded it. Although there was some language, I was giggling in my bed, trying not to wake Sadie while I read it. She explains her experiences, and  I regret not reading this sucker before I had Sadie. It was hilarious and told you all the things nobody ever tells you about pregnancy or birth. It talks about all kinds of things, including pooping, and made me laugh out loud. I even read some of it to Tony, who also thought it was hilarous.

The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg
I read this sucker before Sadie was born, and re-read it again. Tracy is all about routine and structure - something I totally agree with. I got a lot of good information with this book. This book was wonderful in helping me find out how to deal with setting up a routine and getting Sadie into proper sleep habits. I found it quite helpful in also figuring out what she wanted instead of guessing. I thought some of the stuff that she did was a little out there in terms of how you talk to your baby, but most of it was really good. The best part is taking the quiz to find out what type of temperment your baby is, and how to deal with that accordingly.

 It Gets Easier!...And other lies we tell new mothers by Claudine Wolk
This book had me wishing that I had read it before Sadie was born. It was a good light hearted book that I could have used to de-stress with. It came from a mom who choose bottle feeding over breast feeding, and I hadn't read a single book on a mother who did. It didnt make you feel guilty about choosing formula over breast feeding, and that was reassuring for me, who was debating quitting. I still wish I could have breastfed Sadie longer. Anyways, we're getting off topic here...So this book also talked quite a lot about what to expect in the hospital, how to deal with visitors (loved that part), and talked about keeping a baby on a schedule.Something that the Baby Whisperer was all about, but this book didnt sound so hokey about it.


So these are some of the books I've been reading lately. Any good suggestions on books that you've read lately? Anything thats as good as The Hunger Games? I'll just throw it out there, if you haven't read The Hunger Games yet, you really really need to.



Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I just got the "You Having a Baby" out from the library and kind of flipped through it. I just read a good baby organization book called "One Year to an Organized Life with Baby" It talks about getting rid of clutter etc, something you seem interested in. It goes week by week through the pregnancy and the first couple months, but I skimmed through it all and it doesn't matter when you do things. The author suggest making a lot of lists, which I love doing so now I have excel sheets full of lists. For novels, I recently read a series by Janette Oke and Davis Bunn. The first book in the series is called "The Centurion's Wife" and there's 3 books total. I haven't read the Hunger Games, but maybe I should, sometimes I get tired of reading about baby/birth!

Post a Comment