Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Commander Keen


Back in 1995 or so, I got my first computer. It was My uncle Darrels computer. It was really neat. It had a whole bunch of old games my cousins played and files from a library system. We didn't know what to do with those, so we left them. We were very new to computers.
No Internet, but solitaire was the Bomb! After solitaire we found a cool pinball game. Andy had all the high scores, but with a little work, I took over the high score list, making it impossible for Aria to get on the list. Looking for a new game to beat, we found a floppy disc for Commander Keen. Man, that was the coolest thing ever. Aria and I had never had a Nintendo, or Sega or video game ever before this computer (except pong on the Atari thing that plugged into the tv that my dad had when he was a kid). Keen was awesome when the computer was having a good day (good days were when we had colour , bad days were when the monitor overheated and everything turned purple, or red). Keen was a challenge then, but we did pretty well. Never beat the game, because one day, Aria in her infinite wisdom decided to clean up the computer files that were left there. Well she deleted almost everything, including the folder called "startup". Once the computer shut down, we were lost. It wouldn't turn on without that folder. That was a sad day. She dug up the floppy discs my uncle left with us, and she installed them one at a time (8 total) I took a long time, and we got it to work, but Keen would never work again. By that time we got a new machine, but it was sad because we never beat the game or got it to work on any other computer. Apparently it only runs on dos and windows that have dos.
This week I was on the Internet and searched the game for fun, and low and behold, you can run it on XP. I wont get into the technical details, but after half an hour of tinkering, I got it!!!
I played the game for a few hours last night and was grinning the whole time. The graphics are terrible and its got no sound, but man its awesome. Now I kinda wanna find the atari game my dad had, that thing was so old. I think he threw it out. ahh well. Time to sleep for a bit. Goodnight

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Dude! when i saw that picture my mind flashed back to that purple screened computor! oh my! so fun. did you ever play pac man? that was on there somewhere too.. oh good times:) those were great games, so simple! haha

Miranda said...

never found pacman, but played the astroid game.

Post a Comment